Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade
This project will add a high-capacity 400 kV underground electricity connection between Dunstown substation in Kildare and Woodland substation in Meath.
The Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade (or Capital Project 966) will add a high-capacity 400 kV (kilovolt) underground electricity connection between Dunstown substation in Co Kildare and Woodland substation in Co Meath.
The upgrade will help to move electricity more effectively to the east of the country. It will also allow us to better distribute it within the electricity grid in Meath, Kildare and surrounding counties.
Benefits of the Project
The project is essential to assist Ireland in achieving our climate action targets. The Government's target is to have 80% of electricity coming from renewable sources by 2030. Bringing electricity from onshore and offshore wind sources is critical to this target.
Meeting Energy Demand
It will also help meet the area's growing demand for electricity. This growth is due to:
- Increased economic development and population growth
- The planned connection of new large-scale IT industry infrastructure in the region
Securing Our Electricity Supply
Much of our electricity is generated in the south and south-west of the country, where there are wind farms and modern electricity generators. The power they generate needs to be transported to where it is needed.
Power is currently transported across the country on two high-voltage power lines. These run from Moneypoint in Co Clare to the Dunstown substation in Co Kildare and Woodland substation in Co Meath.
Transporting more electricity on these lines could cause electricity supply problems throughout Ireland. This is particularly true if one of the lines is lost or out-of-use unexpectedly. This project will help to minimise this risk.
Where Are We Now?
We are now at Step 5 of the Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Applying for planning permission.
When progressing grid development projects, we follow a six-step approach, ensuring each step is clear and identifiable.
Community Liaison Officers
The Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade community forum brings together people and organisations from the study area. It ensures that stakeholders and community views are understood and considered as we deliver the project. It gives a voice to local communities and those impacted most by our infrastructure. The forum provides for open dialogue between the project teams and stakeholders.
The forum offers advice to us on key project developments such as:
- How we communicate and engage with the public
- What we need to consider in developing the project
- How we can deliver meaningful community benefit to the area where our infrastructure is hosted
Development Perspectives, an Irish non-governmental organisation, are the independent chair of the forum.
In June 2021 we held an information evening about the setup of this community forum. Following this, we opened a public nomination period where community groups were invited to express an interest in becoming members of the forum.
In addition, we invited Kildare County Council and Meath County Council to nominate an elected representative from each county council to the forum.
Membership of this forum is evolving since its formation. If you are interested in become a member, please contact your Community Liaison Officers in the area:
Project Links and Documents
Below are documents about the Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade. We use a six-step process for developing new projects. These documents are organised based on the step of the project they refer to, with the most recent news appearing first.
Step 5 Summary of engagement with the public and stakeholders
Step 4 Best Performing Option Update Documents
- Uasghrádú Eangaí Chill Dara-na Mí - Céim 4 – Bróisiúr um Nuashonrú Tionscadail
- Kildare-Meath Step 4B Report – Route Options and Evaluation Report
- Kildare-Meath Step 4 Project Update Brochure
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade Best Performing Option Interactive Map
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade Step 4 Engagement Report
Step 4 consultations documents - update
Step 4 consultation documents. Where exactly will we build?
Step 3 outcome documents
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Spring 2021 Update
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Spring 2021 Update - Irish language version/Uasghrádú Eangaí Chill Dara-na Mí - Nuashonrú maidir leis an Tionscadal - Earrach 2021
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Step 3 Consultation Final report
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Step 3 Best Performing Option Report
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Implementation Feasibility Report for Option 1 Up-voltage
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade - Final Strategic Social Impact Assessment Scoping report
Step 3 documents. What is the best option and what area may be affected?
Published for Consultation Phase:
Published for Information Phase:
- Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade Step 3 Brochure Summer 2020
- Confirmation of need for the Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade in Step 3
- Environmental Constraints Report
- Draft Strategic Social Impact Assessment Scoping Report
- Cable integration studies for the Kildare-Meath Grid Upgrade
- Cable route feasibility report
- Various feasibility reports:
- REP-004 - Woodland 220kV C-Type Extension RevB
- REP-005 - Dunstown 220kV C-Type Extension RevB
- REP-006 - Woodland 400kV Connection RevB
- REP-007 - Woodland 400kV Ring Configuration RevB
- REP-008 - Dunstown 400kV Connection RevB
- REP-009 - Connection into Woodland Substation RevB1
- REP-010 - Cross Connection at Maynooth Substation RevB1
- REP-011 - Woodland 220kV Connection RevA
- REP-012 - Dunstown 220kV Connection RevA
- Various drawings:
- Drawing-LAY-003 - Dunstown 220kV C-Type Extension RevB
- Drawing-LAY-004 - Dunstown 400kV 1 Cable per Phase RevA
- Drawing-LAY-005 - Dunstown 400kV 2 Cables per Phase RevA
- Drawing-LAY-006 - Dunstown 400kV OHL RevA
- Drawing-LAY-007 - Woodland 220kV C-type Extension RevB
- Drawing-LAY-008A - Woodland 400kV Ring configuration - Standard RevA
- Drawing-LAY-008B - Woodland 400kV Ring configuration - Modified RevA
- Drawing-LAY-009 - Woodland 400kV 1 Cable per Phase RevA
- Drawing-LAY-010 - Woodland 400kV 2 Cables per Phase RevA
- Drawing-LAY-011 - Woodland 400kV OHL RevA
- Drawing-LAY-014 - Woodland 220kV Cable Connection RevA
- Drawing-LAY-015 - Woodland 220kV Gorman Cable Connection RevA
- Drawing-LAY-016 - Woodland 220kV Gorman OHL Connection RevA
- Drawing-LAY-017A - Dunstown 220kV Cable Connection RevA
- Drawing-LAY-017B - Dunstown 220kV Cable Connection RevA
Step 2 documents
Step 1 documents
To make a submission on this project, go to our Contact page and fill in the required fields using the dropdown 'Capital Project 966'. Your submission can be entered into the text box on the contact form. Please note, there is a limit of 4000 characters.
Have Your Say: How we develop the electricity grid, and how you can influence our plans.
Community Forum minutes of meetings
- Community Forum Meeting 14 July 2021 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 11 August 2021 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 30 August 2021 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 5 October 2021 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 11 October 2021 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 15 November 2021 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 12 January 2022 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 14 June 2022 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 5 October 2022 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 24 January 2023 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 24 April 2023 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 13 September 2023 - Minutes
- Community Forum Meeting 13 November 2023 - Minutes